Bastion

Bastion

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Ying and Yang

The start of the long distance TT's has begun for me, and I have had a couple of close results already, in fact winning and losing by almost the same margin, a scant 7 or 8 seconds over 50 miles.

The first of these was the Charlotteville CC 50 on the H50/8 between Farnham and Alton, not a bad course in all honesty, but a challenging one with a poor road surface in places, and a few lumpy bits, each circuit is around 20 miles so you have to do 2.5 laps. It is the same course as used by the RTTC National 50 in 2011. The first 50 is a bit of a shock to the system, as it means a prolonged period in the aero position, though luckily on this course you can get out of the saddle a couple of times, so I find it a good event to ease into the longer races.

I was down as the scratch rider, though one rider stuck out as the one to beat, (or ultimately get beaten by), this was James Gilfillan. I hadn't heard of James before, but he did have some pedigree, and he had won a couple of events recently.

The race went pretty well, especially for a first 50, but I was disappointed with the time initially, but as per the norm recently the wind wasn't too kind, and probably in the worst direction it could be for this course. I felt the after effects of the first 50 though, with very sore legs afterwards, not normally a problem for me in 50's and getting off the bike wasn't a pleasant affair. I saw that James had done a 1:48:07, and the organiser asked if I had beaten it. I was pretty sure I had done a longer 1:48 but wasn't entirely sure, eventually my time was put up and I have done a 1:48:15, so 7 secs down on James. I wasn't surprised to be honest, but I had given all I had on the day, you always think about where you could have gone faster etc, but it was a good first 50 performance and took away some good positives.

The next event up was the San Fairy Ann CC 50, this has always been a bit of a special event for me, though it hasn't always been an event with a good ending for me. The first 2 years I did it I had mechanical issues, but put in a good performance last year and I enjoy the course which is the Q50/11 down on the marshes, near Camber and Lydd. The main competition this year would again be Kevin Tye, who has won it for the last couple of years. This year I really wanted to win it, (well I did last year as well, but just wasn't fast enough).

The weather was awful, with rain and heavy winds (well there is a wind farm down on the marshes for a reason I suppose), but it was going to be the same for all. The wind again was in the worst direction, as it meant a solid headwind between Camber and Lydd on what is the most exposed part of the course, it wasn't going to be a good day for times that was for sure.

This was a 2 lap circuit with a section of 4-4.5 miles leading from the start point and back to the finish point, it meant the finish was into a block headwind as well, deep joy after 46 miles or so. I started off well, and with the tailwind help I got where you turned into the wind at over 28.5 mph average, turning 90 degrees into the wind was like being hit by a sledgehammer, the speed immediately dropped, and it was now a case of just pushing really hard for the 7 miles on energy sapping headwind and a poor road surface. Seems to be my choice of roads recently that have expansion joints covered with tarmac that has subsequently sunk down, and means a very bumpy ride and is difficult to get into a good rhythm. It gives a good indication when you pass riders that just look like they are standing still, of just how strong the wind is (over 20 mph it seems for that morning).

Getting to the next turn was a bit of a mixed blessing, as although not into a headwind now, you were being buffeted around with the x winds. At least the speed picked up again, and the road surface meant you got back into a good rhythm. It was now just a case of doing the circuit again, with the knowledge that the wind was picking up as well. It proved a little more difficult to keep the speed up the 2nd time through, with stronger winds and tired legs. At the end of the second lap you just had the final 4 miles to the finish, this just seemed to go on for ever, it was just a case of trying to up the power for the final few minutes and hoping the finish would appear from around the corner.

I was hoping for a sub 1:50 ride, but the weather conditions put paid to that, so I was pleasantly surprised I had done a 1:50:44, easily a sub 1:50 ride given better weather. It was now just a case of seeing what sort of time Kevin was going to do. As I rode back to the HQ I knew we would pass at some stage, I thought that 7 mins after I finished might be enough. As we passed each other at exactly 7 mins, I knew it was going to be very close, and so it proved to be once back at the HQ.

Amazingly I had beaten Kevin by 8 secs, so was very happy, and I did chuckle about the time difference, I thought it was only fair I won by a similar margin I came 2nd a week previously. A great event from the San Fairy Ann CC as always, though they must try harder with decent weather in the future LOL.

I felt better in this race than the week previously, with my legs seeming to be fine afterwards (though not later after doing some training after the race LOL). I also tried a Camelbak Racebak which worked really well, going to need this in some longer races where I may not have helpers.

Here is me in action on the San Fairy Ann CC 50 (picture courtesy of Lise Taylor-Vebel)



Tally for 2012 so far

15 Races, 8 x 1st, 3 x 2nd and 2 x 3rd, 2 x 4th, 4 x course records

No comments:

Post a Comment