Bastion

Bastion

Friday 23 September 2016

When Dreams Come True

As many have said wow, just WOW. Ironman Wales surpassed all of my expectations, I had heard it was well supported but it was so much more than that. Arriving in Tenby on the Friday there was just a massive buzz about the town. Loads of local businesses flying Ironman Cymru flags from windows and doorways and everyone just seemed so enthused about the event.

The last 2 weeks in the run up to the race had proved to be challenging as after every run I was experiencing quite a sore left hip for a couple of days afterwards, it didn't seem to hinder me much with the short runs I was doing but it did concern me that running a marathon after 180km on the bike might be my undoing. Still it was what it was and on the day I might be all OK. My last run had been the Wednesday before the race and even on the Saturday it was still aching, not particularly good.

I had spent the week before meticulously going through the start list and seeing who might be the fastest in my AG, not that it helped massively in all honesty, the rolling swim start would mean you never truly knew whereabouts you stood once the race started. I had also planned a schedule to determine how long it would take me to reach certain points on the bike course. This wasn't time to aim for, but would useful to determine how the ride was going.

The sole aim for Ironman Wales was to try and qualify for Kona, I had failed to plan properly big time in South Africa in 2015 and I didn't want to make the same mistake again, I knew what sort of swim time that was needed, how slowly I could ride the bike (not my usual how fast could I ride it), and how fast I would likely need to be on the run (and a more realistic time prediction this time). I had figured based on previous races, a 1:05 swim, 5:30-5:40 bike and a 3:30-3:40 run was probably needed to be certain to be in the top 4 (my AG was likely to only have 4 slots). All of those targets were doable individually on this notorious hard course, but could I actually string it together on the day. The biggest worry for me was the run, 100+ metres of climbing every lap and a 3:30 was a tough ask, add in the issue with my hip and it was probably no where near possible. So in short, I had to aim for the podium (4th was the fall back scenario), ideally go 10:30 but possibly 11:00 would be good enough and just hold myself together on the marathon.

PRE RACE

The walk down to the swim was just superb, the crowds at 6:30am were amazing and the buzz it gave me was something else. As we reached the beach I was able to peel off and get a quick swim in and then made my way back towards the front of the line. I had ummed and errred over to line up with the hour swimmers or the 1:05 swimmers, in the end I think I probably ended up being near the front of the hour swimmers, no going back now. As the Welsh National anthem blasted out there was loads of singing and then we got some thumping music to get us all revved up. First hooter goes and off go the pro men, followed shortly by the pro women. Next up was the AG in a rolling start, I crossed the line about 1 min after the first of the swimmers and we were off.

SWIM

I had swum the previous day and been chuffed at the pace for the little effort, and now I felt I was swimming good, I had some good toes and out to the first buoy I had very little biff even with the sheer number of swimmers around. The first buoy ended up being very congested but after a few mins of slow swimming (why do some swimmers just suddenly stop as they round buoys?) it was across the bay. This had a little bit of swell, but nothing major and then all those swimmers that were around the buoy were suddenly all gone and it was quite a pleasant swim from there on in. The final leg was fast though it never actually felt that fast, and it wasn't long before I exited the water to run around past the start line to start the second lap. I never looked at my watch so had no idea of what sort of pace I was swimming. The second lap I felt the conditions seemed a little tougher with a bit more swell, though to be honest it was great swimming conditions. Again a congested first buoy and then good biff free swimming to the exit. As I started to get my wetsuit off, I glanced at my watch, 59 mins, had my watch stopped, but no it was still ticking along. I couldn't believe that I had just done a sub hour swim, the day had started well.

T1

This deserves it's own section as those that know Wales it is famed for it's 1km long run to transition, with the first part up the zig zag climb from the beach. I found my shoe bag very easily and slipped on my shoes and ran pretty comfortably to transition. T1 went fine and after 8:20 I was out on the bike.

The infamous zig zag climb off the beach


BIKE

Now the plan for the bike was to take it pretty easy, I had done the Bastion bike quite hard so I knew what not to do in terms of power and the hills. The first 10 miles or so to Pembroke were a bit stressful. Even with me riding at a higher power than I really should have been riding, riders were coming past me all of the time, sometimes as solos, more often as draft packs (the first part of the ride is pretty flat). Not so much of a problem if they didn't bloody slow when they got in front, so it meant if I wanted to keep my pace where it should be I was overtaking 6 to 8 riders at a time at well over the power planned, to get back in front and on my pace. A bit of cat and mouse until the road got a bit more technical and then I was free of most of them. The ride towards the Angle was good, but the wind was mainly in your face on the way out there, but I arrived there bang on schedule and feeling good. As I was now mainly on my own with no groups around I was able to ride at a reasonable power and with the wind behind the pace was good. I arrived in Pembroke to masses of support, and it was uplifting to say the least. It wasn't long before I got onto the big loop, again on schedule, and found the course lovely as I made my way through Lamphey, Carew, Cresselly, Templeton and onto Narberth. Narberth is where the first of the bigger hills occur and again the crowds through the town centre was fantastic with music pumping out and just loads of cheers, the climb felt very easy with the encouragement. On leaving Narberth it was down towards Wiseman's Bridge and Saundersfoot, home to the 2 stiffest hills on the course. First you had to go down some real technical descents which did test out your bike handling at times. Down into Wiseman's Bridge and a very short flat section and then straight back up to what is the steepest climb, this went well and I never felt I was struggling, at the top it was down again to Saundersfort and infamous Heartbreak Hill, the bottom section from the shore is the steepest but quite short and it was packed with supporters. The atmosphere here was great and it really didn't feel as steep as it was, after the steep bit the long drag to the top was again spectator lined and a joy to ride up. The drop down back into Tenby gave you a first glimpse of the run course, that hill I was flying down now would be the one I was crawling up later. Reaching Tenby to start the second lap of the big loop and again so surprised at the sheer number of spectators. Still pretty much on schedule I started the second lap, this was a lot more pleasant without the constant battling with other riders, once through Lamphey I started encountering those on their first lap and it was good to have little carrots up the road to chase. I was still feeling good and I was still passing those who had swum faster than me. I really enjoyed the climbs again and the crowds were just as enthusiastic as the first time through. Even towards the end of the bike I felt great and would have quite happily done a 3rd loop, but sadly it was time for the dreaded run. The bike ended up being bang in the middle of what I though was possible with a 5:35 bike, and I did it feeling good.

RUN

After a quick transition it was out on the run and straight away I had some pain in my hip flexors, oh great this is going to be a long painful 42km. First km down and the pace was good, perhaps a bit too good but hey stick with it the next few kms are all uphill. As expected the pace dropped off on the real steep parts, but as the steepness eased the pace picked up. Although I could feel my hip flexors the pain wasn't getting any worse and felt more of a discomfort now rather than pain. The run back into town was good and fast, aiming for 3:30 I knew that I just had to take advantage of gravity and I just let my legs run. As I completed the first lap in under 48 mins I knew I was again below target, but I also knew I would slow at some point. The second lap still felt OK, though obviously running at a pace that was probably a bit too optimistic the fatigue was starting to show. I also really needed a pee, and although I had tried to go whilst running I just couldn't seem to go, so it was a quick stop in a portaloo and then back on my way feeling a bit better. Well that was until I hit the steeper part of the course for the 3rd time, the hip pain was now getting worse and causing other issues, my back was starting to get sore and I was starting to cramp in my hamstrings. I had to resort to a power walk at times, though once running again the pace was decent enough but I had lost the ability to claw back time on the descent, well the time I need to go sub 3:40 anyhow. By the time I got to the town for the 3rd time every little incline was hard work, but I just tried to focus on the knowledge that I had one more time up to the top turn. Nice shouts from Duncan Shea-Simonds saying I was looking good were very welcome, but I certainly didn't feel as I was running that well.



As I started the 4th lap I looked at my time and saw it was on 9:30, bloody hell I only had to get the last 10km or so done in an hour and I would have achieved my 10:30 time, easier said than done though. I was really suffering now and the hip flexor pain was getting a bit unbearable, the drag out to the top turn became more a battle of mind over matter, cramping spasms, even my right arm and leg going numb at points and I started see over 6 min/km for the first time. This wasn't good and although the numbness seemed to pass the pain was still there and only getting worse. The run down into town the last time I threw caution to the wind and got at least one sub 5 min/km in but that last run through town was a killer. I was so much in pain that I even walked on one downhill before I told myself you have 500m to the finish, just get on with it (plus a shout from the Pedalcover guys). As I arrived on the Esplanade for the final time I ran as hard as I could to get onto the red carpet. I had promised myself to celebrate the finish come what may, but it was easy to do when I saw that I was going to get a 10:30 finish. Crossing the line in 10:29:59 meant it was a great day, hearing Paul Kaye say that it was a podium place (or at least I think I heard him say that) had me wondering where I had come. The run was a good one for me considering the hip issue I had before the event, a little sad not to go sub 3:40 but not far off what I thought I needed to do.

Swim: 59:32
T1: 8:32
Bike: 5:35:09
T2: 2:32
Run: 3:44:14

Total : 10:29:59

After a collecting my street gear I made my way to my B&B, all of 100m from the finish, thank goodness, and crashed on the bed. I switched on my phone and was overwhelmed with notifications and messages. I did see one post from Deanna Pennington which was a screenshot of my race splits and then it hit me, according to that I had finished 2nd in my AG. This meant a quick look at the Ironman live timing to double check, this confirmed I had finished 2nd, oh my god, not only had I got the time I thought possible but I was on an Ironman podium and with that I knew I had assured myself a Kona slot. Not too ashamed to say there were lots of tears, but these were pure tears of joy. I had seen friends qualify at Weymouth the week previous, now I would be joining them, and it made it all the more special as Kona 2017 takes place on my birthday.



Checking other results I found out that another friend had finished 2nd in her AG, though it looked as though there would only be one slot, really did feel for her, but you never know what can happen at the slot allocation. I felt so proud to get an Ironman podium and I really enjoyed the experience, but to be honest I just couldn't wait to hear my name called out to accept my Kona slot. As they started with the ladies, the first AG had no takers, so that slot rolled into the 35-39 AG, and bingo, Claire had managed to get her slot as well, I was so chuffed for her. I had no hesitation accepting my slot and with a year to prepare I will be watching Kona 2016 with a huge amount of excitement.



A massive amount of credit must got to Darren Jenkins of Nevagivin Coaching, he has turned me from a cyclist biased triathlete to a more rounded triathlete, I think the results of IM Wales show this, top 30 swim, top 2 bike (I think the first time I haven't been the fastest in my AG), and a top 12 run. The run could have been even faster if not for the hip issue, but I can't blame Darren for that, I just have no idea of why it suddenly flared up 2 weeks out. Thank you so much Darren.

I also have to say a massive thank you to all my family and friends, there has been a lot of neglect and stress over the last few weeks leading into IM Wales were I was just so focused on the race I forgot so many things. The unwavering support of Heather has been so needed and I really couldn't ask for a more supportive person. You really can't do this sport without having a supportive family.

Thank you to all those that have helped me throughout the year

Nevagivin Coaching
Secret Training Nutrition
Go Resources
Sundried
Tri Spirit Team
Castle Triathlon

No comments:

Post a Comment