Bastion

Bastion

Thursday 3 September 2015

Last Hurrah for 2015

With just over a week to go to Challenge Weymouth and the ETU Long Distance Championship and I am into my final taper of the year. After the euphoria of 2014, this year has seemed a bit of a struggle at times. Training has gone very well some weeks and then just hit and miss the following week either through fatigue or life just getting in the way.

The build between the Bastion and now has been OK though and I feel faster in my swimming and the running finally seems to have come together, though I haven't done any durations similar to what I did last year, well apart from 2 IM marathons. Biking as always is strong, though you don't really lose this overnight and I have done plenty of bike work to keep this in good nick.

I keep asking myself, what goals do I want to attach to Challenge Weymouth, I could take the "just enjoy it" route but to be honest I don't think I can whilst racing in GBR kit. The only other option is to attack it and try and do my best and this is what I intend to do, I have had too many races this year where I have thought I was just taking part rather than competing.



I have also decided to stop being coached for next year, I have been coached by Ruth Eyles for 6 years now and together we have achieved a lot, it would be great to bow out with a great result. Now what result would be great, well given how I performed at Challenge Weymouth last year the logical answer is to finish on the podium and get a European medal. Is it possible, then the answer is yes, but as I well and truly know, a long distance tri is a bit of a beast and anything can happen to scupper any ideals you might have thought about.

The course for Challenge Weymouth is again an ace course, especially for me. The swim course hopefully will be better than last year, but even if it isn't I am a lot more confident in open water this year and don't expect any issues like I did last year. The bike course is potentially faster now we don't have the slow out and back to Affpuddle, though if we have a stiff wind from the West the return to Weymouth each lap will be a slow slog. The run course is as flat as a pancake so the ideal run course for me, I should be able to plod myself to a half decent time even if it does all fall apart.

It's going to be an enjoyable weekend no matter what, there are quite a few friends taking part so at least I hope the atmosphere should be a nice relaxing and jovial one. Let's finish 2015 with a bang :).

No comments:

Post a Comment