Bastion

Bastion

Friday 13 April 2012

A Change of Scenery

I mentioned in a previous post I have started racing for Team Swift rather than my old club San Fairy Ann CC. I have been asked why I changed and what did moving to Team Swift mean in terms of equipment and the like.

Why did I change?

Well the lure of riding for a "team" is always tempting, but this wasn't my reason. Racing against the best guys in the business and finishing high up the order means that you are always reseting your goals. One of my goals is to try and win a National medal or a BBAR medal, now I might be lucky and scrape one as an individual, but I realise that I am more likely to achieve this goal as a team member.

The San Fairy Ann CC is a great club with a fantastic history, but essentially it was only me doing the National events and going for a placing in the BBAR. You are never going to get a team medal by competing without team-mates. Leaving wasn't an easy decision, but I believe it is the right decision.

What do I get?

Well a bit of kit and great support, people have been surprised that I haven't been given a bike, wheels etc. To be honest it is an amateur sport and having things given to you is generally saved for the likes of the pro teams. I am more than happy that I have a chance of realising my goals and ambitions, and to me that is the most important thing, though even then it is going to take a monumental effort from the team to win medals etc. There are a few good teams out there with great riders, Team Pedal Revolution and Team Drag2Zero to name a couple.

I must admit I do think the kit looks ace, and blue seems to suit me very well. The team has a great bunch of guys and girls, and all pulling in the same direction. Roll on 2012 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment